What you can’t do:
- Breed, size, and weight limitations may not be applied to an assistance animal.
- Pet conditions and restrictions such as pet deposits cannot be applied to assistance animals.
- You may not ask an applicant or tenant to:
- Provide access to medical records or medical providers or
- Provide detailed or extensive information or documentation of a person’s physical or mental impairments.
- A request for a reasonable accommodation may not be unreasonably denied, or conditioned on payment of a fee or deposit
- The response to a reasonable accommodation may not be unreasonably delayed.
- You are not entitled to know an individual’s diagnosis or require disclosure of:
- Medical records,
- A diagnosis or
- The severity of a disability.
- You may not insist on specific types of evidence if the information which is provided or actually known to the association meets the requirements of the FHA (Fair Housing Act).
Continue Reading 7 Things You Need to Know about Emotional Support Animals in 2023